Pages

Sunday 26 May 2019

Himotaba



I am so far behind with blog posts, it is almost a year since I finished Himotaba, my phase 5 Japanese embroidery piece. Cords are not general popular with JE students but I like their rhythm. When I first came across, Japanese embroidery, this was the design that drew me in so I was looking forward to stitching it. 


It took me about 5 months to complete but in that time I reworked many of the cords to get more practise. I found the blue cord, which uses the wicker technique, the most challenging to stitch. In the design, this cord goes round a very tight curve early on and it was difficult to keep the balance of the two sides of the stitch. 


I also found the cord end fade outs difficult to achieve. Even after many attempts, I was still not sure they look natural enough but in the end I came to the conclusion it was time to move on.




3 comments:

tpotty28 said...

This is such a fabulous piece. Have always loved the woven effect in the braids.

D1-D2 said...

I admit this is the one I look forward to the least, but after seeing pictures of your piece, the colors look so lovely.

Merlynn said...

Great work !! Cords are not my favorite but i like yours :)