Friday, 2 September 2011

Small to Tall

This time it's another quilting project -a height chart for Hayden. The design is "Small To Tall" by Kids Quilts. Jen and Graeme chose the pattern at the Festical of Quilts last year. The measuring tape should have been hand embroidered but I decided it would be easier to digitize an embroidery design for the sewing machine. It was pretty accurate when I embroidered the strip but despite the stabilizer on the back of the fabric, it still managed to stretch when I sewed it to the inner border. I think it's about 2cm out overall. The 2" squares of fabric in the border were from the remainders of a "Dinosaur Uproar"jelly roll I used to make a quilt for Christopher. You don't really see the dinosaurs in the squares - there's just the odd hint of a tail. There's also some snakes in some of the squares, from the Silly Safari fabric I'd used on the back of Christopher's quilt. After quilting around the applique, I decided the background needed some wandering stems with leaves . So I finally managed to put all those free motion quilting classes to good use.

Thursday, 23 June 2011

Eyeglass Case

This time it's my Japanese Bead Embroidery Phase I piece

I started it in September 2009 and added the last bead in January this year. It's waiting to be made into an eyeglass case, so technically it's not finished yet. I was waiting for warmer weather to finish it because the back needs to be sprayed with water and then left to dry. My next excuse was that I didn't like the maroon felt that came with kit and is intended to be used as the lining. That excuse has failed now because I've found some faux suede that is the right colour. Better get on and finish it!

Monday, 20 June 2011

Liquorice Diamonds

So only 3 months between posts. - it's getting better. This time it's a quilt that I challenged myself to finish in time for Quilts 'n' Roses at Squire Garden Centre in Badshot Lea.

The quilt was started at the Quilter's Guild regional workshop in March. The tutor was Jan Hassard and the workshop was called Dazzling Diamonds. I've called it Liquorice Diamonds because sewing the coloured strips next to the black reminded me of Liquorice Allsorts.

Monday, 7 March 2011

Floral Bucks Point Lace Oval

So nearly three years after creating this blog and ignoring the "I told you so" from Graeme, I thought it was about time I did a post. I have always wanted to start this blog with a picture of some lace I have actually finished. So here it is.

The design is by Sandra Straughair. I think I started this piece on a workshop with Sandra in 2001 and it finally came off the pillow last week. I'm quite pleased with the result - it actually looks like lace! I'm known for liking a challenge but it did drive me mad at the end. I have decided the next piece of lace I do is going to be a bit more relaxing.

So who want to take bets on how long it be beforeI get round to doing my second post :-)